Thursday, May 26, 2016

My "Kids"

Anyone who knows me well, knows that I refer to the current and former kids of WGO as "my kids." Although I didn't raise them in the home (although I had plenty of opportunities to "cover" their homes), I had the great privilege of watching them grow up over the course of 10 years.  I started teaching 8th grade, and then moved up with my same students to 9th and then 10th grades.  I became principal of the school after that.  Here is a photo with some of my original class of 8th graders at their high school graduation.


My first class of 8th graders are now 23-24 years old, so they are no longer kids by any means.  I have not kept in touch with every one of them either.  As a matter of fact, I was at my former roommate's wedding last August, when one of my boys came over to greet me.  I honestly didn't recognize him at first, and it took me a long minute to figure out who he was!  The last time I had seen him, he was just a teenage boy.  Standing before me was a full-grown man with a beard! Naturally I was embarrassed at first, but was so glad to see him.

Others I talk to regularly or semi-regularly.  I had a closer-knit bond with some of the girls, mostly because besides being their teacher and principal, I did weekly Bible studies with them in the evening.

During my time at the ranch, I saw about 15-20 kids graduate from our bilingual school.  What are they doing today?  With their permission, I would like to introduce you to several of my former students.  I want you to understand how having a bilingual education has given these "kids" the opportunity to find jobs, become independent adults, and have opportunities that are hard to come by, especially if you go through traditional public school education in Honduras.


This is Nadetie.  Nade graduated from Ebenezer Academy in 2009.  She just got married last year and is now living in Nevada with her husband.  She is the administrator for a company there and is currently attending College of Southern Nevada for her Accounting and Business degrees.


Johana graduated with the Ebenezer Academy class of 2011.  She is sub-director at "a Christ-centered ministry serving sexually traumatized orphans and abandoned teenage girls – restoring them to a life of salvation, hope, purpose, and favor." (Casa de Ester mission statement, casadeester.org)  She is also studying Interior Design at a local private university.


Stephany "Jhoselyn" is an Ebenezer Academy class of 2010 graduate.  She is currently working with a ministry that provides daycare and preschool education in a couple of the poorest neighborhoods of Honduras.  Stephany had the opportunity to participate in the World Race, a mission team that travels to 11 countries in 11 months.  During that time, her heart was captured by the needs of the children in India.  She is currently praying about the possibility of becoming a missionary to India in the future.


Maria was also one of my original 8th graders that graduated in 2009.  She is currently working in the Human Resources department for World Gospel Outreach while studying social work at the local university.


Fany (left, pictured with my friend and current WGO missionary Rachel) graduated in 2012 from Ebenezer Academy.  She is working as the receptionist at the WGO mission house and studying law at the local university.

This is just a handful of my "kids" who gave me specific permission to share what they are doing today.  Other graduates are working as translators and teachers, and studying languages, dental surgery, and education.  I am proud of each and every one of my former students, and am thrilled to see them succeeding in life.

I share this with you for a very important reason.  The success of these kids is largely due to the bilingual education they received at Ebenezer Academy.  Tomorrow I will share about my move to Comayagua, Honduras, and how the benefits my "kids" received through their education stood in stark contrast to what I saw during my next two years in Honduras.

No comments:

Post a Comment